Beautiful University Campuses in the UK
- July 27, 2018
- Posted by: Aditti Gupta
- Category: UNIVERSITY
It pays to have been rulers. UK is home to some of the most amazing campuses, the sights of which will take your breath away. Many of its universities have been used as filming locations for period dramas and epic films. Having grown up reading about kings and knights and royal stories, and of late, Harry Potter, we can’t imagine how amazing it would be to be here. And who wouldn’t want to study in a medieval castle, and get rid of hangovers in a sprawling garden where you can soak in the sun? A university’s atmosphere is of paramount importance in a student’s life and can help them achieve academic excellence.
Our list features old and new universities, and the architecture that stands out in their campus, which includes college grounds, departmental buildings and even chapels!
1.Cardiff University’s main building is a rival to many amazing old institutions.
2. Watched Downtown Abbey and Avengers: Age of Ultron? Royal Holloway’s Gothic-style Founder’s Building is a regular feature in the show!
3. The ivy-clad walls of the chapel at Keele University near Staffordshire is a sight for sore eyes and certainly makes for an amazing backdrop
4. St Andrew’s University in Scotland is sure a place for royals. The University of St Andrews’ many notable and famous alumni include the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – Prince William and his wife, Catherine.
5. The Old University Building at Aberystwyth University in Wales looks straight out of a Harry Potter movie! We are mesmerised
6. Many of Durham University’s campus buildings are historic and architectural marvels and date back to the 11th century. It was established in 1832, and its stunning buildings have been described as “one of the great experiences of Europe to the eyes of those who appreciate architecture”.
7. University of Oxford is probably the English-speaking world’s oldest university and arguably the most iconic.
8. Queen’s University Belfast is UK’s ninth oldest university and houses the The Lanyon Building, opened in 1849 which is any Instagrammer’s dream
9. Founded in 1890, the University of Greenwich is also a Unesco World Heritage site. This campus is a popular filming location and has played host to scenes in films such as Four Weddings and a Funeral, Gulliver’s Travels, The Queen, Les Misérables and The King’s Speech
10. The sweeping archways of the University of Glasgow form the entrance to the Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, the oldest museum in Scotland.
11. Another of Scotland’s four ancient universities, the University of Edinburgh was founded in 1583. The university’s iconic Georgian Old College building was originally designed in 1789 and its landmark dome was finished in 1887